Acquiring Blue Magic
- Blue magic is acquired by “learning” the special abilities of monsters.
- You can only learn the special abilities of monsters when Blue Mage is set as your main job.
- You have a chance to acquire blue magic when defeating a monster that has used a learnable special ability.
- You are unable to learn Blue Magic if your current Blue Magic Skill is 27 levels below the level of the Blue Magic you wish to learn (the blue magic level of the ability you wish to learn is equal to the blue magic skill cap at the ability's level). This means that after level 50, when the increase in Blue Magic from level to level goes from +3 to +5, the level range at which you can learn spells decreases from around 10 to around 6. Therefore, you cannot learn Magic Fruit (58) at all until your Blue Magic is capped at level 52, you cannot learn Dimensional Death until it is capped at 54, etc. Frightful Roar may not be acquired in Phomiuna Aqueducts either, as the skill level between the cap of 40 and the cap of 50 is 30 levels. There may be a reduction of the learning % at a Blue Magic Skill difference of 21.
- The Magus Jubbah, which can be worn at level 58, gives a +15 bonus to blue magic skill and therefore makes your learning level range an additional 3 levels if your skill is capped, increasing the level distance from 6 to 9.
- It is possible to learn blue magic from monsters that never give XP (e.g. BCNM enemies, some quest NMs).
- You will not acquire blue magic if you are KO'd when a monster is defeated.
- It is not necessary to be the target of a monster's special ability in order to learn blue magic, or even be close enough to get a log message about it using the ability.
- It is possible to learn spells in Besieged. In order to do so, a party or alliance member must land the killing blow to the mob that uses the move you wish to learn.
- Even if you "Call for Help" you can still learn the spell.
- Azure Lore does not improve learning chances.
- Below 25% HP, monsters will use their TP immediately upon reaching 100%. Before then, they will use it randomly.
- It is possible to learn spells with higher level members in your party.
- It is possible to learn Blue Magic from monsters that check "Too Weak".
- Wearing the Magus Bazubands, which can be worn at level 56, further increases your chances at learning blue magic. It is not known how large the chances become after equipped.
- Bludgeon gives mob 30% TP on full-hit making it a great spell for getting mob down to 25% health and enough TP to use TP attack.
- Using no weapon is a safe way to learn higher level spells from too weak mobs.
- Using ninja, thief, warrior or monk sub may over power your attacks if you have leveled hand to hand (this applies to any other jobs that have h2h skill)
- Dia gives 10% TP to mob with minimal DoT damage, making it a good spell to spam for feeding mob TP.
Setting Blue Magic
- Unlike other magic spells, it is not possible to use blue magic as soon as it is acquired. First, the spells you wish to use must be “set.”
|Level||Blue Magic Points||Maximum Set Spells|
1. Point Total/Maximum
- Each blue magic spell is assigned a point value (blue magic points). The level of the blue mage determines the maximum number of points available for setting spells.
2. Maximum Number of Set Spells
- The maximum number of blue magic spells that can be set at one time is also determined by the blue mage's level. This maximum number may decrease when the blue mage is under a level restriction and so the set numbers are assigned a color for easy reference.
- Blue magic spells can be set by selecting the “Set Spells” option after choosing “Blue Magic” under “Magic” in the main menu. Please be aware that any time blue magic spells are set, the blue mage will be unable to cast any spells for 1 minute. The one minute timer does not apply when spells are set within your Mog House or Rent-A-Room.
- By setting certain spells combinations, you will gain certain job traits.
Regarding Blue Magic Spells
- The help text for blue magic contains various types of information.
- Blue magic spell name
- Spell effect - The TP information included in "physical" blue magic spells is applicable when using the job ability "Chain Affinity."
- Blue magic type (Physical/Magical) - There are two types of blue magic spells--physical and magical. The accuracy for "physical" blue magic is affected by the accuracy of the equipped main weapon.
- Monster family - This refers to the monster family from which the blue magic spell was learned. The accuracy and damage of blue magic spells are affected by the relation between different monster families.
- Status bonus - This bonus is applied to the caster when the applicable blue magic spell is set.
- Usable level - The minimum level required to cast the spell.
- MP cost - The amount of MP required to cast the spell.
- Blue magic points - The number of points required to set the spell.
Using Blue Magic
- There are certain things to note about Blue Magic Spells that are the same or differ slightly from other types of magic.
- You can be interrupted while casting Blue Magic (unlike Bard Songs), though like other magic, chances of interruption decrease as your Blue Magic skill level rises.
- Blue Magic Spells that have an elemental component can be used to your advantage if you know a mobs weakness (Just like Elemental Magic)
- Unlike all other types of Magic, Blue Magic Spells are stronger against certain ecosystems of mobs, and weaker against others; For example: Sprout Smack is acquired from Saplings (From the Plantoid ecosystem). Since it is a plantoid ability, it will be stronger against Beast type mobs (see Beast Strength Chart) and weaker against Vermin type mobs.
- Magical type Blue Magic Spells will do more damage against mobs that are weak to Magic (I.E. Elementals, Jellies, etc), and less damage against those strong against Magic.
- Physical type Blue Magic Spells can do more damage against mobs that are weak to a specific type of physical damage (blunt, piercing, slashing), and less damage against Mobs that are strong against physical attacks (Elementals, Jellies, etc.)
- Enemy gains 10% TP for every non-zero damage hit. For physical multi-hit spells such as Disseverment, target enemy will gain 50% TP when all 5 hits landed with non-zero damage.
Equipment that Enhances this Skill
|Magus Jubbah +1||74||Body||+15||BLU||Limbus|
|Immortal's Earring||60||Ear||Latent: +5||BLU||BCNM|
|Mirage Keffiyeh +1||75||Head||+5||BLU||Dynamis|
|Ksi Sash||75||Waist||Salvage: +3||MNK/WHM/BLM/RDM/PLD/BRD/RNG/SMN/BLU/PUP||Assault|
Blue Magic Spells (Blue Magic Spell Tool)
|Level||Spell||Family||Type||MP||Blue points||Stat bonus||Cast||Recast||Description|
|1||Sandspin||Worm||M||10||2||VIT+1||1.5s||9.75s||Deals an area attack earth damage to enemies within range. Additional effect: Accuracy Down.|
|1||Pollen||Bee||M||8||1||CHR+1 HP+5||2s||5s||Restores HP.|
|1||Foot Kick||Rabbit||P||5||2||AGI+1||0.5s||6.5s||Deals critical damage. Chance of critical hit varies with TP.|
|4||Power Attack||Beetle||P||5||1||MND+1||0.5s||7.25s||Deals critical damage. Chance of critical hit varies with TP.|
|4||Sprout Smack||Sapling||P||6||2||MND+1||0.5s||7.25s||Additional effect: Slow. Duration of effect varies with TP.|
|4||Wild Oats||Mandragora||P||9||3||CHR+1 HP+10||0.5s||7.25s||Additional effect: Vitality Down. Duration of effect varies with TP.|
|8||Metallic Body||Crab||M||19||1||N/A||7s||60s||Absorbs a certain amount of damage from physical attacks and magical attacks.|
|8||Queasyshroom||Funguar||P||20||2||HP-5 MP+5||2s||15s||Additional effect: Poison. Duration of effect varies with TP.|
|12||Battle Dance||Orc||P||12||3||DEX+2||1s||10s||Delivers an area attack. Additional effect: DEX Down. Duration of effect varies with TP.|
|12||Head Butt||Quadav||P||12||3||DEX+2||0.5s||10s||Damage varies with TP. Additional effect: "Stun."|
|12||Feather Storm||Yagudo||P||12||3||CHR+2 HP+5||0.5s||10s||Additional effect: Poison. Chance of effect varies with TP.|
|16||Helldive||Bird||P||16||2||CHR+1 HP+5||0.5s||11.25s||Damage varies with TP.|
|16||Healing Breeze||Dhalmel||M||55||4||CHR+2 HP+10||4.5s||15s||Restores HP for party members within area of effect.|
|16||Sheep Song||Sheep||M||22||2||CHR+1 HP+5||3s||60s||Puts all enemies within range to sleep.|
|18||Bludgeon||Cardian||P||16||2||STR+1||0.5s||11.75s||Delivers a threefold attack. Accuracy varies with TP.|
|18||Cursed Sphere||Fly||M||36||2||MND+1||3s||19.5s||Deals water damage to enemies within area of effect.|
|18||Blastbomb||Warmachine||M||36||2||STR+1||2.25s||15s||Deals fire damage to enemies within area of effect. Additional effect: "Bind."|
|20||Blood Drain||Giant Bat||M||10||2||HP-5 MP+5||4s||90s||Steals an enemy's HP. Ineffective against undead.|
|20||Claw Cyclone||Tiger||P||24||2||VIT+1||1s||19.75s||Damages enemies within area of effect with a twofold attack. Damage varies with TP.|
|22||Poison Breath||Hound||M||22||1||MND+1||3s||19.5s||Deals water damage to enemies within a fan-shaped area originating from the caster. Additional effect: Poison.|
|24||Soporific||Flytrap||M||38||4||HP-5 MP+5||3s||26s||Puts all enemies within range to sleep.|
|26||Screwdriver||Pugil||P||21||3||VIT+1 CHR+1 HP+10||0.5s||14s||Deals critical damage. Chance of critical hit varies with TP.|
|28||Bomb Toss||Goblin||M||42||3||STR+2||3.75s||24.5s||Throws a bomb at an enemy. Deals an area attack fire damage to enemies within range.|
|30||Grand Slam||Gigas||P||24||2||INT+1||1s||4.25s||Delivers an area attack. Damage varies with TP.|
|30||Wild Carrot||Rabbit||M||37||3||HP+5||2.5s||6s||Restores HP for the target party member.|
|32||Sound Blast||Cockatrice||M||25||1||N/A||4s||30s||Lowers Intelligence of enemies within range.|
|32||Chaotic Eye||Coeurl||M||13||2||AGI+1||3s||25s||Silences an enemy.|
|34||Death Ray||Hecteyes||M||49||2||HP-5 MP+5||4.5s||29.25s||Deals dark damage to an enemy|
|34||Smite of Rage||Evil Weapon||P||28||3||AGI+3||0.5s||13s||Damage varies with TP.|
|36||Digest||Slime||M||20||2||HP-5 MP+5||4s||90s||Steals an enemy's HP. Ineffective against undead.|
|36||Pinecone Bomb||Treant||P||48||2||STR+1||2.5s||26.5s||Additional effect: sleep. Duration of effect varies with TP.|
|38||Jet Stream||Bat Triplet||P||47||4||DEX+2||0.5s||23s||Delivers a threefold attack. Accuracy varies with TP.|
|38||Uppercut||Goobbue||P||31||3||STR+2 DEX+1||0.5s||17.5s||Damage varies with TP.|
|38||Blank Gaze||Opo-opo||M||25||2||N/A||3s||10s||Removes one beneficial magic effect from an enemy.|
|40||Mysterious Light||Magic Pot||M||73||4||AGI+3||3.75s||24.5s||Deals wind damage to enemies within range. Additional effect: Weight.|
|40||Terror Touch||Ghost||P||62||3||HP-5 MP+10||3.25s||21s||Additional effect: Weakens attacks. Accuracy varies with TP.|
|42||Venom Shell||Uragnite||M||86||3||MND+2||3s||45s||Poisons enemies within range and gradually reduces their HP.|
|42||MP Drainkiss||Leech||M||20||4||MP+5||4s||26s||Steals an enemy's MP. Ineffective against undead.|
|44||Mandibular Bite||Antlion||P||38||2||INT+1||0.5s||19.25s||Damage varies with TP.|
|44||Blitzstrahl||Doll||M||70||4||DEX+3||4.5s||29.25s||Deals lightning damage to an enemy. Additional effect: "Stun."|
|44||Stinking Gas||Doomed||M||37||2||AGI+1||4s||60s||Lowers Vitality of enemies within range.|
|46||Magnetite Cloud||Antica||M||86||3||VIT+2||4.5s||29.25s||Deals earth damage to enemies within a fan-shaped area originating from the caster. Additional effect: Weight.|
|46||Geist Wall||Eft||M||35||3||HP-5 MP+10||3s||30s||Removes one beneficial magic effect from enemies within range.|
|46||Awful Eye||Bugard||M||32||2||MND+1||2.5s||60s||Lowers Strength of enemies within a fan-shaped area originating from the caster.|
|48||Sickle Slash||Spider||P||41||4||HP-5 MP+15||0.5s||20.5s||Deals critical damage. Chance of critical hit varies with TP.|
|48||Blood Saber||Skeleton||M||25||2||HP-5 MP+5||4s||90s||Steals HP from enemies within range. Ineffective against undead.|
|48||Refueling||Cluster||M||29||4||AGI+2||1.5s||30s||Increase attack speed.|
|48||Jettatura||Hippogryph||M||37||4||MP+15||0.5s||120s||Enemies within a fan-shaped area originating from the caster are frozen with fear.|
|50||Frightful Roar||Taurus||M||32||3||AGI+2||2s||45s||Weakens defense of enemies within range.|
|50||Ice Break||Golem||M||142||3||INT+1||5.25s||33.75s||Deals ice damage to enemies within range. Additional effect: "Bind."|
|50||Self-Destruct||Bomb||M||100||3||STR+2||3.25s||21s||Sacrifices HP to damage enemies within range. Affects caster with Weakness.|
|52||Filamented Hold||Diremite||M||38||3||VIT+1||2s||30s||Reduces the attack speed of enemies within a fan-shaped area originating from the caster.|
|52||Cold Wave||Snoll||M||37||1||INT-1||4s||60s||Deals ice damage that lowers Agility and gradually reduces HP of enemies within range.|
|54||Hecatomb Wave||Demon||M||116||3||AGI+1||5.25s||33.75s||Deals wind damage to enemies within a fan-shaped area originating from the caster. Additional effect: Blindness.|
|54||Radiant Breath||Wyvern||M||116||4||CHR+1 HP+5||5.25s||33.75s||Deals light damage to enemies within a fan-shaped area of effect originating from the caster. Additional effect: Slow and Silence.|
|56||Feather Barrier||Roc||M||29||2||N/A||2s||120s||Enhances evasion.|
|58||Flying Hip Press||Bugbear||M||125||3||AGI+1||5.75s||34.5s||Deals wind damage to enemies within range.|
|58||Light of Penance||Tonberry||M||53||5||CHR+1 HP+15||3s||60s||Reduces an enemy's TP. Additional effect: Blindness and "Bind."|
|58||Magic Fruit||Opo-opo||M||72||3||N/A||2.5s||6s||Restores HP for the target party member.|
|60||Death Scissors||Scorpion||P||51||5||MND+2 CHR+2 HP+5||0.5s||24.5s||Damage varies with TP.|
|60||Dimensional Death||Shadow||P||48||5||DEX+1 CHR+1 HP+5||0.5s||23.75s||Damage varies with TP.|
|61||Eyes On Me||Ahriman||M||112||4||HP-5 MP+15||4.5s||29.25s||Deals dark damage to an enemy.|
|61||Maelstrom||Sea Monk||M||162||5||MND+2||6s||39s||Deals water damage to enemies within range. Additional effect: STR Down.|
|61||Bad Breath||Morbol||M||212||5||INT+2 MND+2||8.75s||120s||Deals earth damage that inflicts multiple status ailments on enemies within a fan-shaped area originating from the caster.|
|62||Body Slam||Dragon||P||74||4||VIT+1 MP+5||1s||27.75s||Delivers an area attack. Damage varies with TP.|
|62||Memento Mori||Corse||M||46||4||INT+1||3.5s||56s||Enhances magic attack.|
|62||1000 Needles||Sabotender||M||350||5||VIT+3 AGI+3||12s||120s||Shoots multiple needles at enemies within range.|
|63||Spinal Cleave||Qutrub||P||61||4||VIT+2 INT+1 MND+1||0.5s||28.5s||Accuracy varies with TP.|
|63||Frenetic Rip||Imp||P||61||3||INT+1||0.5s||28.5s||Delivers a threefold attack. Damage varies with TP.|
|63||Frypan||Moblin||P||65||3||DEX+2||1s||26s||Delivers an area attack. Additional effect: "Stun." Accuracy varies with TP.|
|63||Hydro Shot||Sahagin||P||55||3||MND+2||0.5s||26s||Additional effect: Enmity Down. Chance of effect varies with TP.|
|64||Feather Tickle||Colibri||M||48||2||AGI+1||4s||90s||Reduces an enemy's TP.|
|64||Yawn||Apkallu||M||55||3||CHR+1 HP+5||3s||60s||Puts all enemies within range to sleep.|
|64||Voracious Trunk||Marid||M||72||4||AGI+2||10s||56s||Steals one beneficial effect from an enemy.|
|65||Infrasonics||Lizard||M||42||4||INT+1||5s||120s||Lowers the evasion of enemies within a fan-shaped area originating from the caster.|
|65||Zephyr Mantle||Puk||M||31||2||AGI+2||7s||60s||Creates shadow images that each absorb a single attack directed at you.|
|66||Frost Breath||Raptor||M||136||3||INT-2||6.5s||42.75s||Deals ice damage to enemies within a fan-shaped area originating from the caster. Additional effect: Paralysis.|
|66||Sandspray||Qiqirn||M||43||2||VIT+1||3s||90s||Blinds enemies within a fan-shaped area originating from the caster.|
|67||Enervation||Troll||M||48||5||HP-5 MP+5||3.5s||60s||Lowers the defense and magical defense of enemies within range.|
|67||Diamondhide||Troll||M||99||3||VIT+1||7s||90s||Gives party members within area of effect the effect of "Stoneskin."|
|68||Warm-Up||Mamool Ja||M||59||4||VIT+1||7s||56s||Enhances accuracy and evasion.|
|68||Firespit||Mamool Ja||M||121||5||STR+3||6.5s||42.75s||Deals fire damage to an enemy.|
|69||Tail Slap||Lamiae||P||77||4||MND+2||1s||28.5s||Delivers an area attack. Additional effect: "Stun." Damage varies with TP.|
|69||Hysteric Barrage||Lamiae||P||61||5||DEX+2 AGI+1||0.5s||28.5s||Delivers a fivefold attack. Damage varies with TP.|
|70||Amplification||Flan||M||48||3||HP-5 MP+5||7s||56s||Enhances magic attack and magic defense.|
|70||Cannonball||Wamouracampa||P||66||3||STR+1 DEX+1||0.5s||28.5s||Damage varies with TP.|
|71||Lowing||Buffalo||M||66||2||HP-5||7s||56s||Gives enemies within range a powerful disease that prevents recovery of HP and MP.|
|71||Heat Breath||Manticore||M||169||4||STR+3||7.5s||49s||Deals fire damage to enemies within a fan-shaped area originating from the caster.|
|72||Disseverment||Aern||P||74||5||MND-1 INT+1||0.5s||32.75s||Delivers a fivefold attack. Additional effect: Poison. Accuracy varies with TP.|
|72||Saline Coat||Xzomit||M||66||3||VIT+2 AGI+2 MP+10||3s||60s||Enhances magic defense.|
|73||Ram Charge||Ram||P||79||4||HP+5||0.5s||34.75s||Damage varies with TP.|
|73||Temporal Shift||Hpemde||M||48||5||HP+10 MP+15||0.5s||56s||Enemies within range are temporarily prevented from acting.|
|73||Mind Blast||Soulflayer||M||82||4||MP+5 MND+1||3s||30s||Deals lightning damage to an enemy. Additional effect: Paralysis.|
|74||Actinic Burst||Ghrah||M||24||4||CHR+2 HP+20||0.5s||60s||Greatly lowers the accuracy of enemies within range for a brief period of time.|
|74||Reactor Cool||Zdei||M||28||5||INT+3 MND+3||3s||60s||Enhances defense and covers you with magical ice spikes. Enemies that hit you take ice damage.|
|74||Magic Hammer||Poroggo||M||40||4||MP-5 MND+2||4s||180s||Steals an amount of enemy's MP equal to damage dealt. Ineffective against undead.|
|75||Plasma Charge||Phuabo||M||24||5||STR+3 DEX+3||3s||60s||Covers you with magical lightning spikes. Enemies that hit you take lightning damage.|
|75||Vertical Cleave||Euvhi||P||86||3||VIT+1 HP-5 MP+5||0.5s||37.25s||Damage varies with TP.|
|75||Exuviation||Wamoura||M||40||4||HP+5 MP+5 CHR+1||3s||60s||Restores HP and removes one detrimental status effect.|
- http://www.neko-sentai.com/images/BlumageNFO.htm - Damage modifier information.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.